Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sacred Sunday: 1950s Church Photo

This is a 1950s photo of church members of Gospel Light United Holy Church, Newport News, VA. I remember some of these people during my youth in the 1970s and 1980s. My maternal grandparents, Minor Elwood Thornton (1913-1979) and Emma Johnson Thornton (1922-2011), were members of this church, but are not in this photo. The short man in the dark jacket on the front row was the pastor of the church, Elder Thomas E. Talley. By the time of my youth, he had become a Bishop.

2 comments:

LindaRe said...

Wonderful picture, reminds me of the church I attended as a child.

Jennifer Talley said...

OMG..BISHOP TALLEY (MY GRANDFATHER) & MY GRANDMOTHER ANNIE TALLEY!! WHAT A WONDERFUL PICTURE!! THANX 4 SHARING!!!

GOSPEL LIGHT WILL ALWAYS BE IN MY HEART!!!