Friday, September 4, 2009

Cooling Board Posting (Revisited)

I have a sitemeter added to my blogs which enables me to not only see the number of visitors to my blog, but also how they access the site, whether through a Google search, or by a direct link. I can also see what specific postings they are reading. One of the popular postings is the one on the Cooling Board which I posted on April 26, 2008.

Although there have been many visitors to this blog posting, I received two important comments. One is from a blog reader (Cookie) who has a cooling board as one of her family heirlooms. Imagine receiving such an heirloom! Another blogger (thelwaiting) heard about the cooling board through her family’s oral history.

Cookie said...
I was fortunate enough to inherit a "cooling board" that was used in Gulrock NC...my grandmother had been given it and when she died i received it (April 28, 2009)...ours is not as fancy...no legs, no wheels, no case..just a plank of Carolina pine that was placed between two ladder back chairs...the first time to allow the body to leak out the fluids upon death....then it was cleaned up and the person was dressed and placed back on the board for the showing before burial. I know for sure that it is from the 1900's or earlier and it has 9 marks on it...so we know at least nine member of the community used that board...one is dated 1919 as my grandmothers youngest sister Delores Mason who died in infancy, they say of lockjaw, was buried on it....my grandma and I were one of a kind we thought the history of the board was fascinating....
June 29, 2009 2:48 AM


the1waiting said...
What a magnificent piece! Even though I hate attending funerals, I felt it was important to see this film. I am a genealogist who hear my African American elders speak of many things such as the "cooling board". Seeing this film is a highlight in my life. Thank you for the experience. I love it.
August 28, 2008 12:33 PM

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dru,

Thank you for your post(s).

You just raised the bar on what should be told in the stories of our Ancestors.

I have a 'cooling board' story past to me by my late Uncle George Hancock. It was one of those stories that I initially thought to keep to myself.

Now, I feel confident that it is a story worth telling. Stay tuned!

Peace,
"Guided by the Ancestors"

Mavis said...

Drusilla,

I've heard my mother talk about the cooling board many times. I'm not sure she ever witnessed herself but I think my grandparents talked about it when talking of ancestors and relatives in GA dying especially during the summer months.