Monday, July 20, 2009

Memory Monday: Evening News With Walter Cronkite, 1916-2009

During my childhood, I recall watching the evening news on my family’s black and white television during the 1970s. American news icon, Walter Cronkite, (1916-2009) was a newscaster on the CBS Evening News.

On April 4, 1968, Walter Cronkite reported at the end of the "CBS Evening News" that Civil Rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King had been assassinated. He gave a detailed report about the shooting and the nation's reaction to the tragedy. I was about four and a half when Dr, King was killed. I recalling seeing images of his assassination on our black and white television, but I am not sure if it was during the time that it occurred, or in later years of my childhood.

Walter Cronkite had a memorable deep bass voice and I do not remember any other newscasters with a voice like his. He is remembered as the “most trusted man in America.” Thanks to the power of YouTube videos, we can hear Walter Cronkite’s voce again as he delivers the news to America about the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King.

No comments: