Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Grandma Emma's Family Hat Traditon

Maternal Grandmother Emma

My grandmother’s generation and that of her ancestors, wore hats to church because of religious beliefs that a woman must have her head covered in church. This belief is based on the scripture by Paul the Apostle in the Bible.

But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. 1 Corinthians 11:5

My maternal grandmother, who is 86 years old now, still honors the hat tradition learned from her ancestors.

Grandma Emma's mother Bell


Grandma Bell (left) and her sisters Mollie and Channie

Grandma Luvenia, mother of Bell, and maternal grandmother of Emma

6 comments:

my Heritage Happens said...

Great pcitures and look at all of the wonderful hats!

Msteri

Hue Reviews said...

Great pictures!!

Linda and Richard Meadows said...

Drusilla-
The photos of your family are wonderful-it brings back many memories of my grandmothers and aunts who proudly donned their hats on Sunday's and so many other special occassions. When they wore their hats-their walks were easier, postures errect and they confidently went on about their business. Thanks for stirring such sweet memories!!!
Linda
http://blessednessofbelieving.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hey Dru,

Love reading all of your interesting stories! Keep up the good work.

By the way, I "heart" your blog.

http://juliemc77.livejournal.com/9834.html

Julie

Barbara Poole said...

I love those hats. Enjoyed this blog. You are doing a great job with your postings. Thanks.

Professor Dru said...

I love the hats also. I never thought about a hat tradition in my family until I began looking at photos and writing this article.